Simbu: I wanted my relationship with Hansika to work


The stylish actor talks about his ex-flame Hansika, his ‘so called’ rivalry with Dhanush and his future plans in a candid chat with Bollywoodlife Currently, the actor is shooting for Gautham Menon’s Achcham Enbadhu Madamaiyada and is all set to start shoot for Selvaraghavan’s untitled commercial film in May. He hasn’t had a film release for over two years which he feels bad about as he says he let down his fans. And his loyal fans have stayed with him through this time and till today have supported him and showered him with love. Simbu says his fans make him strong and as everyone knows, he speaks straight from the heart. In this exclusive interview, he gets talking to me about his career, relationships, marriage and more.

Vaalu release has been pushed again. 

We will release Vaalu by April or May for sure. Chakravarty, the producer, is looking into this. Things will fall into place soon.

You went on a spiritual trip in between.

I wanted to experience that side of life as well. So I went to Hrishikesh, Badrinath and Kedarnath. It really got me thinking about life, who I am and what we are here for. I then came back and it took me a while to adjust back into the film world. I read a lot of books on spirituality. As for now, I still meditate but I don’t want to get into spirituality full-fledged. I think I still have a lot of time for that. (Smiles)

Were you upset when the break-up with Hansika happened?

We are cordial with each other. In fact, we went to Bangkok to shoot for Vaalu as well last year. The break-up happened not because of the two of us and personal issues but due to numerous other factors. I was upset because I really wanted this relationship to work. But I also understood the issues that needed to be dealt with and I didn’t want to deal with them at that point.

Despite that photo controversy, are Nayanthara and you friends today?

Yes, we are. When Pandiraj narrated the script, he felt she would be the right choice for Idhu Namma Aalu. She liked the script and we did the film together.

You are 30 now. Where does marriage figure in your life now?

All of us are individuals and we want to live life as individuals with individual freedom. It is society that puts a lot of pressure saying you need to be married and have kids and so on. Marriage is about giving up your individual freedom and saying yes, two of us can live together as a single unit. I don’t think marriage is 
mandatory – I will get married when I meet the right person and I feel I should give up my individual freedom for the other person. My parents are not pressurising me to get married. They have always respected my choices. As for meeting the right person, I have left it up to the universe.

Dhanush and you were earlier said to be rivals. Then you became good friends. What’s the status today?

What was happening earlier is that other people created this so-called rivalry between us. Some people were telling me that he was saying nasty things about me and vice versa. So I used to just say hi whenever I bumped into him. Then I met him at a party one evening and we really got talking and that’s when we realised that he and I never had personal issues but it was other people who were creating the problems. 
We cleared the air and now we are good friends. We still hang out. I wish him well and he wishes me well. We know that both of us have our own place in the film industry.

You have a passion for music. Are you going to be composing music for your films?

No, why should I when there are professionals around me who can give me what I want? I come up with certain lyrics or rough melodies and then the music directors’ work on that for me. But my brother is composing music. Kural has done the music for my film Idhu Namma Aalu.

What plans for Simbu next? Are you writing scripts?

Yes, I am. In fact, I have some scripts. I think I want to direct a film next year. I’ll be acting in it as well.

--BollywoodLife.com